Sunday, April 17, 2011

Arranged Marriage

I only ask you what is asked of me and perform in accordance to what I have received,
Be it your frigid shoulder or your razor sharp wit.
But not an excess favor, nor any subordinate grant will be retrieved
From this most formal association of mutual benefit

Be it clear that my silence is not at power with either tolerance or acceptance
And though my words may be kind, intonation is an art of its own
So I promise you, as agreed, minimal resistance
And shall leave all the intimates unknown.

And now, almost as equals, we sign our treaty
Of parallel accountability and social obligation
Betrothed are your status and my beauty
And we shall gracefully smile and accept this relation

Now, my husband, I wish you good night
I will lie on my side and you on yours
Through the day we have performed our duties, as is right
But all pretense can be dropped behind these closed doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment